Sunday, February 3, 2008

Farewell Sweet "Grandpa"

We are going to miss President Hinckley so much!

The Salt Lake Tribune called him the most significant LDS church president since Brigham Young. They may be right. He has been such a kind, loving and open leader - not afraid of comments and questions from the media and other religions. I will never forget his appearance on Larry King Live a few years ago - he was incredible. And also he has put such an emphasis on temples and making them so accessible to church members.

I'm sure others have written much about him already, but I just wanted to post my own mini-tribute to him, a personal one.

There are two things about President Hinckley's example that have made me a better person.

First, he is an unconditionally loving and positive man- always looking for the good in everyone. Sort of like a very kindly sweet "grandpa" for all of us. I have one of his quotes on my fridge:
"Things will work out! Keep trying! Keep believing! Be Happy! Don't get discouraged. Things will work out!" And, he not only said it, he lived it!

The second thing that has most influenced me is what a perfect family man and father he is. I will never forget his talk a few months after Marjorie died. He had met her before he left on his mission as a young man and called her "the girl of my dreams," because he missed her and dreamed about her while he was in England. Then after she died, he said "She has once again become the girl of my dreams."

I never saw them together when he wasn't holding her hand. I heard her talk once and she said that he had treated her like a queen every day of their 60-plus year marriage.

I love the thought of them together once again hand-in-hand!!

0 comments: