Thursday, July 10, 2008

Fun on the Fourth

Hot air baloons launching from downtown Provo.

Two sisters from Iraq doing sparklers for the first time.

Some of our group awaiting the fireworks show.


S'MORES - All American treat.
What an amazing Fourth it was this year for the Kellys.
When you are with people who are seeing and experiencing something for the very first time, you see and experience things anew. It was amazing how I noticed even the littlest of things this year, and there were many more poignant moments for me as I thought more deeply about what all of it means.
Feeling the audience rise from their sidewalk seats as the flag went by - slowly, silently, simply -at the parade. Putting my hand over my heart with all the audience. Cheering as WWII vets waved that "parade wave" from their perches on the backs of Army jeeps. Eating watermelon, potato salad, s'mores and other good ole' American fare. Watching the fireworks and writing my name in the air with a sparkler for good luck. Sharing some thoughts on freedom with refugees who had only been in the country a few weeks, including the father of the family who was imprisoned and tortured for TWO YEARS for expressing a view that was slightly critical of some of his former country's actions.
I asked the Iraqi family what they liked best so far about the US of A. I thought they would say something like: enough food, a roof over their heads for the first time in two years, not living in constant fear. But, the mother of the family said "the love of the American people," and she shared that many people had been so kind, welcoming and loving to them. I have never been as proud of my country and my people as I was at that moment.
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great way to spend the 4th.