Friday, March 14, 2008

Name That Cookbook Contest

Greetings all clever and creative bloggers!

"Happy Valley Kellys" is proud to announce a contest to name Donna's upcoming cookbook! As a prize, Donna will personally come to your home (or the location of your choice) and cook a gourmet meal for you and 7 of your favorite friends and/or family members! (We PROMISE we are not making this up!)

Donna has been feverishly working on her next cookbook, which is a collection of fast, fresh and flavorful entrees that require 30 minutes or less of prep time. The original title was going to be "The Every Day Gourmet," but Donna's publisher would like to use a different title, and feels that "gourmet" is a word that is over-used these days.

The format of the book will be an easel-style book that folds into an easel and stands on your counter for easy reading while you are cooking. One recipe per page. If you would like to take a look at the index of recipes so far, please let me know and I will email them to you for your perusal.

So, what we need is a clever, catchy title that conveys the essence of the book. That is where you come in. Post your ideas - all REASONABLE suggestions will be considered. No. Jake, we can't use "It tastes good when you put it in your mouth." A panel of marketing experts from around the world -- ok, mostly from Utah County -- will select the winner.

Contest ends: April 15th. (Manuscript deadline for the book is May 1st.)

15 comments:

jph3 said...

Hey there. Sounds like fun!

In appreciation of alliteration's allure, the following frivolous and futile funnies formed in my frequently fruitless faculty:

Fine and Familiar Fare
Casual Cuisine
Natural Nutriment
Customary Cookery
Popular Provisions
Dish Delight
Graceful Goodies
Carefree Cooking
Cooking in the Clear
Effortless Eats
Snap for Some Serious Snacks
Day-to-Day Dish

This is just food for thought. I'll try and think of something serious sometime soon.

jph3

Kate said...

Hungry to Happy in 30 Min.

Donna said...

You guys are on to something with your alliterations . . .

I liked the sing song-y sound of "Every-day Gour-may", so we are all on to the right track.

Jape- I like the word "Dish" in there. It sounds fun and catchy.

Let's keep tinkering with it for awhile . . .

Amy Jane said...

Oh man...I think I would buy a cookbook named "Snap for some Serious Snack" just because of the hilarious title.

Donna said...

What about something along these lines:

"Daily Dish"

or "The Daily Dish"

or "Dish Delish"

OK, if this is too weird, I can explain: It's 9:40 and I'm still at the office working . . . . brain is fried . . .

Amy Jane said...

Dish Delish is definitely out..that is too cat-food sounding. Maybe The Daily Dish, that one is better.

morganspice said...

Sorry to say I posted my title suggestions in the other post, but I haven't thought about it long enough to think of a serious title, so I will keep trying.

morganspice said...

Technically 'Everyday Gourmet' is euphony and not alliteration. But no one but me I think actualy knows what euphony means. It is the opposite of cacauphony. And I am the only one who knows how to pronounce either one. It is about the only thing my English major did for me.

morganspice said...

If you are going to go with quickness, I posted 'Instantly Eating' in the other post. I always thought a book called 'Instantly Indian' would be good because I always want to make Indian food but the recipes are too hard.

morganspice said...

Funny, Amy, Daily Dish does sound like cat food, but I didn't think of it till you said that! Probably because of Meow Mix.

morganspice said...

Jape, I just noticed that you were the one who contributed the 'snap' one. That is insanely funny. How are you able to stay in touch with stuff like this in your corporate environment? I am a linguist and I am not sure I would have thought of it. But the again, my kids think that I am way culturally out of touch. There, they would censure my use of 'way' in that sentence.

Anne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anne said...

I know the deadline is approaching - I'll toss "Simple & Sophisticated" and "The Easy Epicurean" in the mix again. Or "Simply Sophisticated"?

But I think those are too wordy. How about this, though: use a catchy short title and then elaborate on the concept in a subtitle? I actually like the "Snap" part of JP's suggestion. Try this:

"Snap!
Sophisticated Dishes Made Simple"

grandmadorothy said...

A few more bites for thought..How about something like:
Donna's Delicious Delights
Minutes to Magnificent Meals
Bite to the Quick Dishes

I too will keep on "chewing" on some ideas :)

Donna said...

Thank you all!!

I am meeting with my publisher next week to talk titles - will announce the winner soon!!!!